So you see these hats all over the internet. Because Firefly is awesome, and because geeky crafters like to recreate anything crafty they see on their favourite shows. Patterns for both knit and crochet versions abound (although the "real" one in the show was knit, so I haven't made myself a crochet one - I'll hold out until I learn to knit) and you see doll sized hats and keyrings for sale all over etsy too. But I didn't want to buy a teeny tiny Jayne hat, I wanted to make one. So I did. And as I pulled that pattern out of my magical *ahem* gluteus maximus, I wrote it down to share with all of you.

Tiny Jayne Cobb Hat
Sc 5 into magic ring with yellow. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1.(5)
inc around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1.(10)
*sc, inc* around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (15)
*2sc, inc* around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (20)
sc around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (20)
sc around. Change colour to orange. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (20)
sc around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (20)
sc around. Ss into first sc to join. Ch1. (20)
sc around. Ss into first sc to join. Fasten off (20)

Now you can either make the earflaps as separate pieces, or join the yarn on with a slipstitch directly to the hat. I joined mine straight onto the hat. If you want to make separate pieces, ch 5, turn, 4 sc across and follow the pattern from row 3.

SS with red into the side of the hat, 4 sc, ch 1, turn (4)
sc across, DON'T CHAIN UP, turn (4)
sc across, DON'T CHAIN UP, turn (3)
sc across, DON'T CHAIN UP, turn (2)
ss in final sc, cut yarn, pull yarn through loop
unravel yarn, plait strands, knot and trim

Repeat for other side.

Make an itty bitty red/orange/yellow pompom and attach to the top of the hat using the tail left from the magic ring. Now your hat is perfect for a Big Damn (action) Hero, or other doll, or you can attach it to a keyring and show the world how cunning you are.